Thursday 30 January 2014

On we go

I have a long day at the hospital tomorrow. I have my regular ultrasound appointment, then I'm meeting with the high risk doctor, the anesthesiologists, the neo natal doctor (who was our son's doctor 2 years ago), and the surgeon who will be doing my c-section and hysterectomy. I have a list of questions for each of them which is very unlike me (disorganized by nature) but I'm happy to have it.

I met with the urologist on Monday (Dr. Roberts) and he was an extremely kind and incredible doctor with phenomenal people skills. What a difference a smile and a kind word makes to a patient facing a lot of unknowns. He looked inside of my bladder (which FYI is a really weird experience to see the inside of your bladder on camera) and praise the Lord the placenta has NOT grown into my bladder. It still appears to have grown through the uterine wall but at least he won't be needing to do surgery on the inside of my bladder as well. Although he did assure me that he will be at the hospital that day and just down the hall in case they do need him to perform any kind of surgery or fixes to my bladder.

My heart is really full of gratitude because the Lord has surrounded me with incredibly kind doctors and hospital staff. I even met a medical student 2 weeks ago during my regular appointment and she happened to be doing her rotation in urology on Monday and it was like seeing an old friend!

This is a big deal because both of my birthing experiences have been terrible at this hospital. With my daughter I received no help with nursing and instead was advised to supplement her with formula and they informed me that they'd be waking her up every two hours to feed. What ever happened to the saying "never wake a sleeping baby"?? With my son it was even worse since I had an emergency c-section and they didn't know what was wrong with me. I had gone in because I had a high fever and was in excruciating pain that had started on my left side. The doctor took one look at me, saw that Micah's heart rate was over 200 and they took him out. After a couple of days in the hospital the pain came back but they couldn't see anything on ultrasound so it seemed as though they thought I was faking it to stay in the hospital longer with Micah who was in the NICU. The staff was just plain mean to me. Fast forward 3 months and we realized the pain was due to a tumor in my spleen that no one could see yet. All that to say I had my hesitations about receiving care at this particular hospital due to my previous experiences. I'm very happy to report that everyone has been extremely kind and full of grace. I've made arrangements for my babies to stay with my parents for the first few days while I'm still in the hospital though so that Rob can be with me - just in case. ;)

These days I spend my time resting as much as is possible with two toddlers and the inability to lift anything. I do my best to stay on top of laundry and dishes while Rob is at work but I do tire easily and find if I do too much I get crampy for several hours which is probably not a good thing. Baby is moving all of the time and surprised his big sister with a few good kicks to her hand this morning. She giggled and kissed my belly. :)

I will be speaking to the neo-natal doctor tomorrow about giving my baby breast milk instead of formula while I am still in surgery and immediately afterwards when I'm sleeping. While I am prepared to argue this to the top of the hospital if I need to I'd really much rather they agree and allow me to feed our baby donated milk instead of formula. We had Micah on donated breast milk for 9 months of his life and it was such a blessing to me. If you could keep this in your prayers that would be really appreciated. When Micah was in the NICU they gave him formula and it really messed up his gut. I basically didn't sleep for the next 3 months because he was extremely fussy and nursed every hour to hour and a half. Rob had to rock him in a baby carrier for hours on end to get him to sleep. It's not the only reason I want this little guy to avoid formula but it's one of the top ones. As parents we need to make the best and most informed decisions we can for our little ones and be prepared to fight for their (and our) rights.

So that's the latest! I actually look forward to hospital visits because it's the only real time Rob and I have to spend on our own. It's like a mini date. :) I really am so grateful that I learned how to focus on what's going well instead of focusing on what's not going well. What a difference it makes!

Things that are going well this week:

* I get a 6 hour date with the love of my life tomorrow.
* Had some preemie outfits dropped off so that I have something for baby to come home in.
* My incredible sister is organizing food and meals for us for when baby comes which is such a blessing.
* I think I'm finally over this 5 week cold for the most part! Yay!

I am overwhelmed with gratitude by the love and support you've all shown me. I really am connected to the best people on the planet. If you're reading this, that includes you!

His & Yours,
Meggan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment